The Saga Begins

As a new comer to the Astromech building world in 2015, I joined the R2 Builders Club (astromech.net) in May to start the journey of building my very own R2-D2.  Since joining, I've spent many hours, days, weeks, months reading through the forum.  

While the astromech.net is the defacto repository of all things R2 for the global community, the information is often US focused.  With this in mind, I also joined the UK R2 builders club so I could learn from fellow builders, this side of the pond, as to how they worked through and found alternatives for parts that may only be available to US builders.  

It is great to be able to draw on the club members knowledge and experience from both America and Europe to help me along the way.  In turn, I hope I can help those who come after me. 

Starting out on this journey was daunting to say the least. Terms, techniques, processes all need to be learnt. I spent over 7 months reading and researching before taking the leap and buying my first part.  

From the outset I'd like to thank a number of people who have provided great advice in the form of Build Logs or email exchanges.  

JoyMonkey (Astromech.net)
Matt (http://matt2-d2.blogspot.com)
CuriousMarc (www.curiousmarc.com) 
Vint43 (Astromech.net)
Grenex (Astromech.net)
Ripcode (astromech.net)
Edwardo (astromech.net)
Brad (http://bighappyduder2.blogspot.com)

I'm designating my R2 as R2-DK.  I believe there is one other R2 in Ireland but I haven't seen it or talked to the builder.  I believe it is a number of years old and I don't know what material it is made from, whether it is Club Spec or even if it still exists.  I'm confident, my R2, when complete, will be one of the first (if not the first) fully functional, moveable, aluminium R2 in Ireland.  An exciting prospect.  

So lets get started.....

The Saga Begins The Saga Begins Reviewed by Damok on April 20, 2016 Rating: 5